Located in Highland Township, the community of Calvertville was founded in 1885 and named for John Calvert. Calvertville had a store, a school, and a church. Before the 1930’s, a ‘home-owned’ telephone system was built as a cooperative by neighborhood men giving telephone service to 121 subscribers in Calvertville, Freeman, Whitehall, Newark, and Tulip. The switchboard was located in private homes with the family members serving as operators.
Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland