Founded in about 1873, the community located in Stockton Township was named for William Ellis who donated land for the first log school in the late 1870’s.  The school burned and was replaced, but that building also burned  in the 1920’s.  While the school was once again being rebuilt, students were sent to school No.9 at Brownstown.

Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland