In the 1830’s, Emmanuel Hatfield bought several entries of land from the United States Government. Some of it includes where Owensburg now stands. The Village of Owensburg was settled by Lilburn Owens in 1842. In 1848, the town was surveyed and laid out in plots and recorded as Owensburg. There was a great loss to the town, in 1870, when fifteen buildings burning, including five stores, one large hotel, one livery stable, the Baptist Church, and the Masonic Lodge. Then, in the winter of 1873-1874, another fire destroyed the distillery and grist mill. In 1875, a newspaper was printed with different editors at different times and was the pride of the town. However, in 1878, the newspaper left Owensburg and moved to Bedford. By 1886, Owensburg has a population of over 400 with six physicians, a confectionary, a butcher stand, and a Building & Loan Association. During the 1800’s, this thriving little village had become the second best shipping point on the Narrow-Gauge Railroad between Bedford and Switz City.
Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland