The community of Plummer encompassed a one mile square in Section 4 of Washington Township and was likely named by Thomas Plummer who settled there in 1832.  The Wabash & Erie Canal was built through Plummer and was in operation there for a few years until the railroad was built.  The community consisted of a store, a post office, a grain elevator, and a depot.

Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland