Ridgeport was mostly just a settlement named because of its location on a high ridge separating the Beech Creek and Bridge Creek Watersheds in Center Township.  It was never properly laid out or recorded and did well to have one store.  However, in June, 1889, a post office was established and named Heaton, but was discontinued in 1906 and the area returned to the name of Ridgeport.

Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland