David Neidigh deeded land for a church and cemetery in Highland Township before the Civil War. Peter Killinger operated a store and post office on the corner opposite this church. The post office was established in 1865 under the name of Tulip. After the railroad came through Eastern Greene County in 1906, the town somewhat relocated itself away from the church and closer to the railroad tracks and depot. The nearby viaduct built by the Illinois & Central Railroad over the Richland Creek Valley later gained its name as the Tulip Trestle.
Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland