This little community, located in Center Township, got its name in the 1800’s when an unknown, drunken wayfarer fell off his horse into the mud on a dark and dreary night. The tipsy traveler though he had arrived in Cincinnati, Ohio. The townspeople took him to the town hotel, fed him, and kept him overnight. The next morning he told them he was en route from Vincennes to Cincinnati, but his drunken insistence that he was actually in Cincinnati, Ohio made such an impression on the settlers that they decided to call the place Cincinnati. A post office was established on January 13, 1874 and discontinued service in 1934.
Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland