The first settlers to register a plat in the Green County were members of the Edwards Family in 1809. Located in Beech Creek Township and built on a ridge a mile long and a quarter of a mile wide, the town’s business district was centered along the main street. The village was founded around 1860 and named for Newark, Ohio, home of the early settlers. The town contained a flour mill, a wagon factory, a slaughter house, a drug store, three general stores, a stave bunger, two blacksmith shops, a cabinet shop, a lodge hall, a doctor, an undertaker, and three cemeteries. As better education was stressed and better roads were built, the townspeople gradually left Newark to its own destiny, that of a dying town.
Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland