Where the Town of Scotland now stands in Taylor Township, a settlement had been growing and business houses lined both sides of the street before the post office was established in 1825. All the essential necessities for the pioneers were available in Scotland. William Woods, a druggist, built the tavern in 1873, which stayed open until the late 1960’s known as the Scotland Hotel, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. When World War II needed war supplies, the navy made a supply and bomb storage depot nearby and Scotland, being the closest town, was brought back to life for a few years helping to care for the hundreds of workers employed at the naval base, now known as NSWC Crane.
Provided by Mildred “Milly” (Coleman) Uland